Sharapova – Biography, Awards, Rewards, Achievements
Maria Yuryevna Sharapova, usually called as Sharapova is one of the most prominent Tennis Players in the world. Sharapova is regarded as one of the well-known professional Tennis players across the world who hails from Russia. At the age of 17 i.e., in the year 2004, Sharapova has become the first Tennis Player from Russia to win Wimbledon. Wimbledon is one of the esteemed tennis events that usually takes place every year in the summer season in London, England.
Maria Sharapova initiated her professional Tennis career at the age of fourteen years. In spite of suffering from several injuries at the time of practising and coaching in her entire Tennis career, Sharapova developed in her career as the popular Tennis player among women. Sharapova has reached to peak levels by attaining several rewards, awards, and achievements as the best Tennis Player.
Besides her Tennis career, Sharapova has promoted several brands with her stunning appearance and looks. This has helped the player to gain much craze and popularity among the people all over the world. Maria Sharapova is regarded as the wealthiest woman in Sports and her to the first female Tennis athlete to have more than 20 million fans and followers across various social networking platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
MariaYuryevna Sharapova was born on 19th April 1987 in the Nyagan town of Russia. At the age of 2, Sharapova moved to Black Sea coastal resort of Sochi. Sharapova’s father is Yuri and mother Yelena. They moved to Florida in the year 1996 in order to get trained at Nick Bollettieri’s Tennis Academy in Bradenton. Only Sharapova and her father moved to the US and left her mother to stay in Russia due to some issues regarding the VISA.
At the age of 9 years, Sharapova joined at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy and received the best training and coaching for Tennis by earning a scholarship. Sharapova showed immense interest towards her game play and stood with the competitive spirit in the field of Sports. In the year 2001, i.e., at the age of 14 years, Sharapova turned out to be a complete professional. Even though, the ambitious Tennis player started playing with her competitors at the junior Wimbledon and French Open tournaments in the year 2002. Later, after a couple of years after moving to Florida with her father, Sharapova’s mother Yelena joined them.
Sharapova – Early Life
When Maria Sharapova initially moved to Florida with her father in order to enroll her name in the Tennis Academy, she was not approved and accepted to give permission by the management immediately to join in the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy due to her age. She was too young to join in that academy. Firstly, Sharapova took up training for Tennis at the Rick Macci Tennis Academy and later contracted an official agreement with the International Management Group (IMG), which is a worldwide sports and talent organization founded in New York.
Sharapova – Tennis Career
Sharapova has become a popular Tennis player across the globe and achieved bounteous awards and achievements with her incredible playing skills.
- Originally, Sharapova won her first tour title in Tokyo in the year 2003. That was her first time to complete top 50.
- Sharapova became the first woman in Russia to hold the title by winning Wimbledon in the year 2004 i.e., at the age of 17. In that game, Sharapova stood first by surpassing her opponent Serena Williams in the final match.
- In the month of August, in the year 2005, Maria Sharapova turned out to be the first Russian woman to attain the top of the world rankings.
- In the year 2006, in the final match, Sharapova won her second grand slam by beating second seed Justine Henin.
- In the year 2008, Sharapova defeated Ana Ivanovic of Serbia 7-5 6-3 and won the her3rd grand slam title, and first Australian Open.
- Regains number one ranking by beating Petra Kvitova in the French Open semi-finals in 2012 before defeating Sara Errani 6-3 6-2 in the final to complete her collection of grand slam trophies.
- In the year 2012, in the Olympic games held in London, Sharapova won a silver medal dropping the final against Serena Williams 6-0 6-1.
- Sharapova won the 5thgrand slam title in the year 2014 at the French Open.
Awards, Rewards& Achievements
- Sharapova has bagged several Slam titles such as Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open and two at French Open and the total slam titles are five. On the other hand, Sharapova has acquired 35 singles titles.
- In the year 2007, Maria Sharapova was chosen as the United Nations Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) explicitly for the Chernobyl recovery projects in the year 2007.
- Maria Sharapova was regarded as the first torch bearer in the lighting ceremony of Winter Olympics in Russia in the year 2014.
- In the year 2015, Maria Sharapova was placed in No.3 position by the Women’s Tennis Association.
Besides Tennis and other sports, Maria Sharapova has interest towards several other fields as well. She supported the United Nations Development Programme. Sharapova has initiated the Maria Sharapova Foundation in a bid to help the poor children across the world and let them fulfil their dreams. Sharapova also donated $100,000 to Chernobyl-related projects.The Height of Sharapova is 1.88 m i.e., above 6 feet. Currently, the age of Sharapova is 29 years.
With her incredible gaming performance, Sharapova was given several nicknames such as “Screaming Cinderella” and “Siberian Siren” from media and print media. However,Maria Sharapova states that she could focus on her game by screaming louder. She has great interest towards music, reading and fashion as well. Maria Sharapova also have is passionate interest in stamp collection.
Sharapova Personal Life & Legacy
Here are some of the insights into the personal life and legacy of Maria Sharapova:
- Coming to the Personal life of Maria Sharapova, she had alleged relationship and dated singer Adam Levine in the year 2005. Later, the duo had tobroken up due to some issues.
- In the year 2008, she had a short-term relationship with TV producer Charlie Ebersol.
- Later, in the year 2009, Sharapova started dating Slovenian basketball player Sasha Vujacic. The couple even publicized that they will get engaged in the year 2010. Yet, Maria Sharapova announced the end of their relationship in the year 2012.
- Maria Sharapova declined the offer of performing as a cameo guest role in one of the popular TV shows namely Desperate Housewives.
- In the year 2010, the popular Tennis Player launched her personal apparel line “Nike Maria Sharapova Collection”
- In the year 2013, Maria Sharapova together with a candy professional Jeff Rubin has rolled out a premium candy line namely ‘Sugarpova’.
This is all about the popular Tennis Player, Maria Sharapova.
Don’t Hesitate to Ask Us If you have any questions use the comments box. Also, if you want to thanks us for the Sharapova you can do it just by sharing this article on social media platforms such as Facebook, Whatsapp , Twitter, and Pinterest